Dox in vitro 2015
2. June 2015
September 8-9, 2015
DOX IN VITRO (documentary projects in a test tube) is a two-day seminar and workshop focused on development of documentary projects organised with its main partner, European Documentary Network (EDN). It is designed for up and coming producers and documentary filmmakers from Slovakia and neighbouring countries. After the event, the EDN will provide the representatives of selected projects with further opportunities to present their projects at European fora of which the EDN is co-organizer.
SEMINAR (September 8, 2015)
The seminar will focus on how to build documentary stories as well as on essential elements in constructing a documentary film. It will also present an approach of a renowned TV broadcaster towards coproductions with independent producers.
– Constructing documentary films. Jesper Osmund and Ove Rishøj Jensen will focus on how to build documentary stories. It will not be the usual way of looking at documentary storytelling with talk about characters, narrative arcs, story set-up and pay-off. They intend to take a different look at what are actually essential elements in constructing a documentary film and center the presentation around lots of scenes and clips from recent documentaries.
– The commissioner as a creative resource. Hanka Kastelicova, commissioning editor of HBO Europe wil l introduce three commissions she has made. Through these cases studies she will talk about:
– Why she entered the project/what made her commission it?
– What her creative input and work with the team was?
– From the original pitch and presentation, how was the idea reshaped and changed into the final film?
WORKSHOP (September 9, 2015)
The workshop is your opportunity to develop your documentary project under guidance from leading international documentary experts. You will receive input and feedback on essential consideration for the further development including the narrative structures, visual style and potential financing opportunities. This is done by working in a small group under creative guidance from international professionals.
Selected applicants with projects will have an opportunity to consult the project with renowned international tutors:
Ove Rishøj Jensen, EDN, Denmark
Hanka Kastelicová, HBO Europe, Czech Republic
Jesper Osmund, screenwriter, narrative consultant and editor, Denmark
Deadline for the application:
July 17, 2015 – with project (seminar and workshop
August 24, 2015 – without project (seminar only)
Organizers: Cinematik Piešťany, European Documentary Network (EDN), Creative Europe Desk Slovakia.
The event was supported by Audiovisual Fund.